A woman often experiences cramps during her pregnancy and at 16 weeks it is no different. Pregnancy is a stressful time for a woman’s body and hence it goes through many hormonal and physical changes to make things easier for the mother and the child. In order to accommodate the growing fetus, the uterus increases in size and can cause pressure on the other organs, nerves and ligaments which leads to a lot of pain in the abdominal area.
There can be aches in the muscles, bone joints and pain due to swelling of limbs which is a result of excessive water retention, besides varicose veins cause pain too as the blood vessels increase in size and swell up. There can be many reasons for cramps during pregnancy and although there are still many weeks to go, it will be helpful if the mother has a healthy routine which will ease the cramps.
- Exercise: Exercise is necessary all the time, more so during pregnancy which will help to keep the limbs flexible and prevent you from putting a lot of weight which can also lead to muscle aches. Do mild exercise like yoga or walking regularly
- Diet: There are many kinds of foods which will help prevent cramps. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, fish, certain spices and teas which have a calming effect on the body and flushes out toxins.
- Drink water: Drink water and cut down on oily or sodium-rich foods as this will prevent water retention and reduce swelling of the limbs and pains
- Sleep: Sleep on your side as the uterus creates pressure on the nerves on your back, or you can also go for warm baths and massages to ease the cramps
- Clothes: Wear loose clothes which are not restricting and that will remove pressure from varicose veins and make you more comfortable